Tips to keep your Skin Hydrated
Skincare is a set of practices aimed at promoting healthy skin and treating skin conditions. It can include cleansing, moisturizing, exfoliating, protection from the sun, and treatment of specific skin concerns like acne, aging, and hyperpigmentation. A personalized skincare routine based on individual skin type and needs is recommended.
A basic skincare routine typically consists of the following steps:
- Cleanse: Wash your face with a gentle cleanser to remove dirt, oil and makeup.
- Tone: Apply a toner to balance your skin’s pH and help with hydration.
- Treat: Use a serum or treatment product to target specific skin concerns.
- Moisturize: Finish with a moisturizer to hydrate and protect your skin.
- Sun protection: Apply SPF daily to protect skin from UV damage.
It is also recommended to exfoliate 1–2 times a week to remove dead skin cells and improve skin texture.
How to measure the moisture of your skin
You should check the hydration state of your skin before diving in. To assist you in doing this, there is a little test. Pinch the fleshy portion of your skin where the cheek and under-eye area meet with your thumb and index finger.
This causes your skin to temporarily appear “tented” or trapped in the shape of your pinch. Your level of moisture is evaluated by how soon your skin returns to its original position.
The more quickly it recovers, the more hydrated it is. Dehydration is frequently indicated by skin that slowly returns to its normal posture.
Here are some tips to keep your skin hydrated:
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated from the inside out.
- Use a gentle cleanser to avoid stripping your skin of its natural oils.
- Apply a moisturizer immediately after bathing to lock in moisture.
- Use a humidifier in your home, especially during dry winter months.
- Avoid hot showers and baths which can dry out your skin.
- Protect your skin from the sun with SPF and limit exposure.
- Incorporate foods high in omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins C and E into your diet.
- Exfoliate regularly to remove dead skin cells and reveal smoother skin.
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine, which can dehydrate the skin.
- Consider adding a face oil or hyaluronic acid to your skincare routine for an extra boost of hydration.